DETROIT, Mich. – The Michigan Tech women's tennis team swept Lawrence Tech 9-0 on Thursday in the opening match of the 2018-19 season. The Huskies battled through some adversity early in the match and finished strong for the sweep.
"It was a good way to start the season for us today with a solid win on the road," Michigan Tech Head Coach Kevin Kalinec said. "All three of our freshmen players earned their first collegiate wins which was great to see. We had some nervousness at the start and our doubles teams are still getting used to playing together, but as the match moved forward we settled in and made the shots we needed to. Overall, I liked what I saw today, but we still have a little work to do before we get into GLIAC play."
Michigan Tech (1-0) took all three doubles matches to begin the day on the way to a 3-0 lead in the overall match. Sophomore Ivona Gorgioski and freshman Jessica Brown combined to defeat Sabrina Mateos and Anusha Varundandi of Lawrence Tech (0-1) in No. 1 doubles 8-4. Freshman Samantha Johnson along with senior Vicky Quinde followed suit in No. 2 doubles, topping the duo of Samantha Kohn and Samantha Weber 8-3. In No. 3 doubles, senior Allenca Rolim and junior Anabella Neri rebounded from a 6-2 deficit to prevail 8-6 for the sweep.
Gorgioski, the 2017-18 GLIAC Freshman of the Year, defeated Varundandi 6-3, 6-0 in No. 1 singles for her first win of the season. Brown secured her first collegiate singles victory in the No. 2 spot, flying past Sabrina Mateos by the scores of 6-1, 6-1. Johnson was penciled into the No. 3 spot in the lineup and by way of 7-5, 6-4 scores, collected her first collegiate singles victory on Thursday.
Quinde had a solid performance in the No. 4 spot, defeating Kohn 6-3, 6-4 while Neri went three sets with Weber in the No. 5 spot. Neri held on for a 7-6 win in set one before Weber came back to take the second set 7-5. Neri bounced back in the third a decisive set, claiming a 10-5 decision and a point for the Huskies. Freshman Mirna Golac closed out singles with her first collegiate win in the No. 6 spot in the lineup, defeating Maria Alvarez 7-5, 6-2.
The Huskies will be back on the court September 8th for an exhibition match against Lake Superior State University in Marquette, Michigan.
Michigan Tech. 7, Lawrence Tech 0
Aug 30, 2018 at Detroit, Mich.
1. Ivona Gorgioski (MTUW) def. Anusha Varundandi (LTUW) 6-3, 6-0
2. Jessica Brown (MTUW) def. Sabrina Mateos (LTUW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Samantha Johnson (MTUW) def. Maria Vega-Hazas (LTUW) 7-5, 6-4
4. Vicky Quinde (MTUW) def. Samantha Kohn (LTUW) 6-3, 6-4
5. Anabella Neri (MTUW) def. Samantha Weber (LTUW) 7-6 (6-0), 5-7, 10-5
6. Mirna Golac (MTUW) def. Maria Alvarez (LTUW) 7-5, 6-2
1. Ivona Gorgioski/Jessica Brown (MTUW) def. Sabrina Mateos/Anusha Varundandi (LTUW) 8-4
2. Samantha Johnson/Vicky Quinde (MTUW) def. Samantha Kohn/Samantha Weber (LTUW) 8-3
3. Allenca Rolim/Anabella Neri (MTUW) def. Maria Vega-Hazas/Maria Alvarez (LTUW) 8-6
Michigan Tech. 1-0
Lawrence Tech 0-1